Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stovetop granola

There is no need to buy granola at the store.  Making your own granola is so much easier than one would expect.  It's fast, easy, and tasty...at least, if you can make it on the stovetop, it is.

Here's my basic recipe...which I then alter to my mood with spices, nuts, fruit...whatever sounds good and I have on hand.

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup flaxseed
nuts
dried fruit

Mix oil, honey, cinnamon (and/or any other spices you would like) in a skilled.  Heat skillet to medium-high heat and wait until the honey begins to bubble.  Add oats and flaxseed.  The goal is to toast the oats, but cover them with the honey as well, so only occasionally stir them.  Add in dried fruit and nuts as you see fit, and let them toast.  (For this recipe I used walnut pieces, a few almonds, and raisins.) After the oats have browned and the granola is fragrant, remove from heat.

Theoretically, you should let the granola cool before you eat it...but I like it hot from the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment